16 July 2012

Gerenuks, Crocs, and Elephants... OH MY!

Sunset on our last night in Meibae
On our second day out searching for cheetah signs, Chris and Edward were leading the way (as I clearly had no idea where the hell I was going).  It was becoming evident that I lacked the skill of evading bur plants and those damn acacia trees. In short, if you choose to follow me, do so at your own risk. One particular lovely walk (the first DAY I was out alone with the boys), I was scouring the floor looking for poop and I walked right into an acacia branch. It hooked me in the nose just in time for Chris and Edward to turn around and start there unnecessary and incessant cries of "sorry!" as they start running towards me to help me out. I managed (with a little finagling) to unhook my face, just to have it scratch me across the forehead and get stuck in my hair (after which there is usually little hope of escape). Luckily, I survived and after that they never trusted me around acacia trees again.

HOWEVER, on this day I redeemed myself (BIG TIME if I do say so myself). While out searching we sort of fan out to cover more ground (but you must always stay with in sight or it drives the rangers who are supposed to protect you absolutely mad). Edward and Chris had already sauntered by, but I decided to just have a little looksie to the side of where they walk. AND BEHOLD... our first and only cheetah track (at least we think so)!


I mentioned we did some driving through Samburu National Reserve which is nearby. Not really any exciting stories about this drive, just some cool pictures to share.
Gerenuk. Note the extremely long neck!

Croc hanging out at the river.

Photo thanks to Peter! I still have to ID this guy...
And oh yeah... SOME ELEPHANTS!

Outside of the park while we were driving down a quasi-busy road (aka we actually saw a car and a lorry (truck) or two on it once), there was a tortoise attempting to cross. Just in case one of those big lorries went flying through we stopped so I could move him to the other side.
Just saving a tortoise, NBD.
Sidebar: if you're looking at that photo and thinking I look kind of tan, it's actually about 85% dirt. Nature's sunscreen. Yay.

Welp, that's all til next time. My final entry about Samburu will be about a CHEETAH. Yes, with pictures! Whoop. Stay tuned my little minions. 

Dodging plants like a boss.

1 comment:

  1. holy cr*p you are doin it! there, really doo-in it! hooray, can't wait to read and see more! -fields

    ReplyDelete